Saturday, March 19, 2011

Giving Up Something I Enjoy, For The Greater Good

I've recently realized that for me to be happy I need to eat well. Which means I'm going to have to give up something I enjoy.

I've been trying the Paleo diet - not rigidly, but I've been doing pretty well. I've largely cut wheat grain from my diet (and most other grains, although those were somewhat easier, the only one I've continued to eat with any sort of frequency is rice - and that I eat when I go out), and I had noted that my IBS symptoms had almost completely disappeared from my daily life.

Then this last week I bought a couple of boxes of pasta - Annie's Deluxe Macaroni and Cheese. It was pretty good, as far as macaroni and cheese goes, but oh how I regretted the decision afterwards.

Basically this comes down to one obvious conclusion: I have some form of intolerance wheat - which puts pasta (one of my former favorite foods) right out of the question for me. This also closes the door on some of the things that I have wanted to make habit - frequent baking, for example - and some things that I've viewed as ... not important, but special - pastries and cookies.

I think that I'll still continue to bake - especially since I like making things for other people much more than I enjoy making them for myself. I'm considering occasionally trying out gluten free baking as well - to see if I can have those once in a while and not have adverse results.

In the end, though, I guess I've known for a while now that food containing much grain isn't that great for me, and that a more primal diet would be the best. It's just taken me a long time to remember and really let that sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment