Friday, March 11, 2011

Goodbye Internet

Today I did, well, nothing. Really. I spent most of the day in bed on my laptop. I had a bath. I made dinner, and I did dishes. I had a whole day to do anything I wanted and/or needed to do, and I opted instead to do absolutely nothing.

These are all the tabs I currently have opened. I am, starting tonight (like, right now), not going to open any others. I've closed my RSS feeder. I may end up closing my IM and IRC sessions.

Yes, that's right: I'm unplugging. At least for the weekend.

I've noticed before my lack of self control when it comes to the computer - I just have a really hard time closing the browser and getting to work. It seems like there's always a new blog or comic to read, or Reddit has some new information to share with the world that I might find interesting. I get caught up reading TVTropes and Wikipedia. I get stuck opening pictures of cute animals.

But none of these contribute to how I feel about myself (not positively, at least). I end up upset that I didn't do chores, or that I didn't write, and I start feeling an upset "doomspiral" take hold.

Today was less than successful. And my previous days were less than successful as well (although I got things done - I didn't get as much as I wanted to done, and I do think part of that is connected to spending time online). So, for the weekend (at least) I'm going to take a step back, let the internet do it's thing without me. Instead I'm going to focus on the things that I believe will improve my level of happy: I'm going to work on my writing, I'm going to read, I may even draw a little. I'm going to play with the rats, I'm going to get outside, I'm going to clean and organize some of my apartment (like the workroom - it would be nice to be in there without feeling that I must clean).

See you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment